Tuesday, March 1, 2016

First!

So, I officially retired from the Army a year ago today.  As a life-long gamer, I was looking forward to that day for a long time.  The Army tends to suck up a lot of your time, and when you do have time, you're often too tired to use it for anything but sleeping or laying around.  And a lot of the people you work with don't want to do anything more complex than get drunk when you do have time and aren't too tired.  I had a pretty good gaming circle when I lived in Maryland, but military life is unsettled, and it wasn't long before I was moved again.

I played a little D&D with my kids, starting when they were fairly young.  Basic Moldvay D&D, moving up to the Rules Cyclopedia (not a huge stretch) once they reached third level.  I expected once I retired that we'd have a regular game going on, and would make a pretty good run for that full 36 level experience, but alas, they are teenagers now, and spend time with people their own age, or playing computer games mostly.  I can get them to play boardgames here and there, but I got tired of feeling like I was forcing them into role-playing. 

And so, I need a creative outlet.  I'm a late-comer to the blogging world...I only discovered game blogs about two years ago.  I've spent a lot of time (a LOT of time) looking over game blogs, mostly related to Old School D&D.  A lot of good stuff out there, but unfortunately, a lot of blogs lay abandoned, gathering dust like the tombs they used to describe.  And so, I consider it my duty to become a point of light in this post-apocalyptic wilderness of game blogs.  Hopefully I can give some inspiration back to the community in return for all the cool shit I've been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment